Will you be one of the high-ranking executives looking to upgrade their careers following the pandemic? If so, it’s important to have a clear-eyed view of the job market in 2021. You’ll also want the best strategy to find a better position while still maintaining your schedule as a busy executive.
The end of the COVID restrictions could spark an unprecedented wave of career changes. One study suggested that up to 30% of the workforce will search out new opportunities as the pandemic restrictions lift.
For you, this will mean both new opportunities and increased competition. You’ll need to be strategic about your efforts. At the same time, you’ll have to make the most of your resources to land the perfect executive position for you.
Clarify Your Goals
What do you want out of your next career move? It’s a big question. The answer will largely determine how you will conduct your next job search. Here are a few points to keep in mind:
- Take Stock of Your Skills: Determine your most marketable selling points. From there, you can look for companies that most need your top qualities.
- Consider the Best Type of Company for You: Build an ideal company profile for your next employer. Do you want to join a large organization? Or seek to inject experience in a fresh startup?
- Look Outside Your Career: Think about your personal goals as well. You might want to save time for family or launch a philanthropic effort. Look for a position that gives you room for your non-professional objectives.
Obviously, most of your best opportunities will come through personal connections. As you seek your next executive role, you’ll want to accelerate your networking efforts in order to unearth those chances.
The key here is consistency. Most people start their job search with great enthusiasm. However, many tend to trail off a bit if they don’t see immediate success.
Don’t fall into this trap. Keep pushing ahead, even if you meet some early resistance.
Routinely ping your contacts to check for new openings. At the same time, work to strengthen ties with your existing connections. Don’t forget to make efforts to find fresh names to add to your network as well.
Create a Brand
Don’t just seek out opportunities. Create an environment where opportunities will seek you out.
This is the underlying purpose of creating a public brand. This might seem like bragging or posturing, but take a broader view of the situation. In truth, these techniques just offer a way to trumpet your accomplishments and showcase your hard-won knowledge.
How do you do this? Here are a few possibilities to consider:
- Find publishing opportunities.
- Start a personalized blog.
- Get active on social media.
- Find speaking opportunities.
Why commit to a full-time position? Consulting gigs can let you keep your resume current, while still maintaining your strategic flexibility. You can collect a paycheck while waiting for the perfect permanent position.
Consulting provides a number of secondary advantages as well. The strategy lets you add skills and experience. At the same time, you’ll get to meet new people and expand your professional network.
Contact our leading recruiters at PrideStaff Bend today.